William Barrow

William Barrow worked full-time as a Senior Research Engineer-Global R&D at American Air Filter. There he operated alongside various universities and companies around the world. Having experienced heart rhythm problems, William underwent a cardiac ablation. During the procedure, he suffered a stroke and woke up paralyzed.

After a week at the hospital, William’s condition required extended care before he could safely return home. He chose Southern Indiana Rehabilitation Hospital to be closer to home. William felt this would make it easier on his family, especially when he moved on to outpatient therapy.

To regain his strength and mobility, William worked hard in acute inpatient rehabilitation for three weeks. He explained, “The inpatient doctors, therapists, and nurses were all wonderful.” William’s hard work paid off, and he started to make great progress before transitioning to outpatient therapy.

At the start of outpatient therapy, William felt fatigued, spoke fast with a slurred speech, and was still paralyzed on his right side. With these obstacles in front of him, he outlined his first goal with his therapists. He wanted to focus on improving his higher reasoning powers of induction and deduction. He also wanted to work on visual scanning of data for certain numbers and letters. These were both crucial skills that he used in his profession as a chemical engineer.

William saw a big difference week to week, especially in his short-term memory and speech. He explained, “The therapists were all very nice and effective. They were all wonderful.”

Getting closer to independent living, William wanted to focus on driving next. Jennifer F. helped him achieve his goals by setting him up with specific resources. To prepare for his driving evaluation, William utilized SIRH’s automobile replica and simulator.

After four months in outpatient therapy, William advanced from a wheelchair to barely having to use his cane when he walks. His right gross motor skills diminished with the stroke. He largely recovered those and can move his right arm and leg almost as fast as his left.

William’s job remained a source of motivation for him. He is now back to work, answering a few emails a day and attending some meetings via Zoom. He enjoys his career and is ready to go back full-time. He looks forward to continuing his research for projects that help people all over the world.