Scott Voyles

After working more than 21 years in distribution for Walmart, Scott Voyles decided to retire to spend more time with his wife and two sons. A few years later, his wife also decided to retire from UPS. However, they continued to work with LEL Home Services for community values. In addition, Scott stayed active by spending lots of time with his oldest son, Cory, who was born with a disability.

Things began to change when Scott came down with a headache he couldn’t shake. He felt a bit better after taking a nap, but only temporarily. After dinner, Scott recalls feeling “off” again, experiencing light-headedness and a sensation as if his ears were full of fluid.

Against his wife’s judgment, Scott thought a bath would be a good idea, even though his legs had begun feeling weak. Fortunately, he agreed to leave the door open so she could check on him. At one point, she noticed that Scott was only using his left hand — despite Scott being right-handed. Bringing this to his attention, Scott realized he couldn’t feel his right arm and was quickly losing feeling in his right leg, too. His son helped him out of the tub, and they called an ambulance.

The ambulance transported him to University of Louisville Hospital, where Scott underwent testing. The tests revealed a blood clot on his brain stem. Scott underwent surgery, and initially, he appeared to improve. But then, the weakness on Scott’s right side began to worsen.

Though Scott’s stay at University of Louisville was “a great experience,” he decided it was time for a transfer to Southern Indiana Rehabilitation Hospital. Scott had previously heard of SIRH, particularly the hospital’s aggressive stroke therapy program.

Scott expressed his gratitude for the “phenomenal” care team at U of L, particularly one woman from environmental services that always lifted his spirits with her positive attitude.

At SIRH, Scott began to see improvements quickly. Though he’s still working toward the full movement of his hands, Scott has high hopes to restore it soon. In just one week, Scott progressed from little movement and no feeling to being able to move his arm and experiencing sensations again. Scott was delighted with his therapy team and how they knew precisely what he needed and could handle.

Scott drew motivation for his recovery from his desire to spend time with his family again. He looks forward to going to the movies and shopping with Cory. He also shared a fun fact: Scott’s wife, Rebecca, is a grandchild of Rosie the Riveter. He hopes to see the statue of Rosie that was placed in Ashland Park since he missed the celebration on September 16th.